Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Big Day

I went to the polls at 6am this morning. There was already a line. Amazing. In a state with early voting (Illinois), and living in an area that is not too densely populated, there was still a line. I don't think it was just for the free cup o' Starbucks. I was starting to think that the 'long lines' fear was being overstated, but now I'm not so sure. Hopefully, folks can afford to miss work if they're stuck in line.

The other interesting thing was that about 95% of the voters at my polling place were bypassing the available touchscreen machines in favor of waiting in another line for paper ballot voting booths. Its pretty clear that people are cherishing their right to vote this time, and they want their vote to be counted. While that's always been true, of course, its never been so important. What an unbelievable day.

Ten more hours.

No comments: